Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Photo of the Week

saint somebody

My neighborhood (mostly working class, with some yuppie and hipster infestation) is full of these little shrines, or tabernàcoli as they are sometimes called. Lots of my neighbors have installed these tiny structures in their front yards, with various religious figures sheltered inside -- Jesus, miscellaneous saints, or most often, as I call her, Bathtub Mary:

Bathtub Mary

Some of these devotional dioramas are quite elaborate, with real or plastic floral adornments, nighttime lighting, and even architectural flair:

Jesus Box

Not a religious sort myself (though I'm not an atheist or agnostic), I nevertheless have to admit that many of these icons have a certain power, a sincerity of intention that can transcend kitsch. Not that they don't sometimes participate in humorous juxtapositions:

watch your step

Click on any of the photos above for a closer view -- if the spirit moves you.

1 comment:

What's on your mind?