Saturday, February 19, 2005

Gates at The Gates

 

Gates at The Gates

I visited The Gates in Central Park today, along with some long-time friends, including some I hadn't seen in 20 years -- it was a reunion of sorts. I had mixed feelings as we walked through the temporary installation by Christo and Jeanne-Claude. From certain angles and vantage points, especially when the sun is shining directly on the saffron-colored fabric and it's flapping in the breeze, the effect is beautiful. At other times, the Gates appear a bit . . . utilitarian. (Some editorial writer thought the orange fabric and metal brought to mind a construction zone.) I'm glad I went, though, and the crowds in the park were certainly enjoying the spectacle, despite the chilly weather. (photos by me)
_

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?