Thursday, March 09, 2006

Word of the Day

Word of the Day

celeritous (adj)

quick, rapid

"There appeared in Forrest's right hand, which had seemed empty, which had seemed not to move or to perform in any celeritous and magic manner, a very small, stubby, nickel pistol, with a caliber much too great for it, and down whose rifled muzzle the earl found himself gazing."
--Gouverneur Morris, The Spread Eagle and Other Stories

I've never owned a gun myself, or felt any desire to. I did have a cap gun as a boy, but I don't think that counts. I mostly liked it for the loud bangs and smell of gunpowder it made. I would sometimes neglect the gun altogether and just expode the caps on the sidewalk by hitting them with rocks. Such fun! My father kept a rifle, unloaded, in his bedroom closet, and used to shoot woodchucks with it. I never touched it, because it scared the bejesus out of me. I wonder if he still has it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?