Monday, January 19, 2009

Much Ado about NOTHING

This is sweater weather. My favorite sweater is a bulky, charcoal-colored wool V-neck that has a hole in it. I don't know how it got there. It looks like a cigarette burn, but I don't smoke.

The hole is in the chest area. It isn't very big -- about the size of a pea -- but my shirt shows through, and if it's a light-colored shirt, the hole is fairly obvious. But I don't care. I think it makes the sweater look more lived in and idiosyncratic. It gives it character. Distressed clothing seems to be "in" these days -- just look at the jeans on sale in clothing stores. They often look like they've been beaten with chains. No one wants to wear new clothes anymore, or at least not clothes that look new. That's not the mood now.

I think I feel warmer in a sweater with a hole in it than I would wearing a more perfect garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?