Sunday, May 15, 2011

Photo of the Week: Star Car

spaceshipcar 1

This is not my car.

This is a prototype for a vehicle intended to beat the land speed record of 415.896 mph (669.319 km/h) at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah later this year.

Actually, I just made that up....

Ahh, the flying cars we were promised by the 21st century. It hasn't happened, but the dream dies hard.

This is an automobile -- or "spaceship" -- I sighted on a recent trip to Ithaca, New York. Rocket-ship styling was de rigeur on many finny American cars in the 1950s and early '60s, but none ever went this far, I don't think (though '59 Cadillacs came close). I suspect the industrial vacuum-cleaner tubes on the top of this conveyance are not functional. What do you think? As for the rocket exhausts.... It looks like there IS something flammable in that central tube. A fuse, perhaps, or just a candle? Better step back when this thing takes off, in any case.

Click the pic for a closer look at this whimsical vehicle.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:45 PM

    I've often wondered what it would look like if I sprayed my wife's car with artist's adhesive and applied aluminum foil to it, dull side up. Now I don't have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shena5:17 AM

    That looks cool. I would prefer this one than the terrafugia, the first generation of flying cars which will be publicly sold for $ 200, 000 later this year. Quite pricey though. It's beyond the reach a middle class girl like me :D lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Terrafugia looks like an accident waiting to happen. I don't think flying cars will be practical until anti-gravity and artificial driver intelligence are. But I don't want one anyway, really. I already feel too much like George Jetson.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?