Monday, June 20, 2011

Quotes of the Day

The poetry of invective. Writers (naturally enough) compose the best insults.

Elizabeth Bishop on J.D. Salinger

"I HATED [Catcher in the Rye]. It took me days to go through it, gingerly, a page at a time, and blushing with embarrassment for him every ridiculous sentence of the way. How can they let him do it?"

Evelyn Waugh on Marcel Proust (1948)

"I am reading Proust for the first time. Very poor stuff. I think he was mentally defective."

Mark Twain on Jane Austen (1898)

"I haven't any right to criticize books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can’t conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice,' I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

Virginia Woolf on James Joyce

"[Ulysses is] the work of a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples."

William Faulkner on Mark Twain (1922)

"A hack writer who would not have been considered fourth rate in Europe, who tricked out a few of the old proven sure fire literary skeletons with sufficient local color to intrigue the superficial and the lazy."

D.H. Lawrence on James Joyce (1928)

"My God, what a clumsy olla putrida James Joyce is! Nothing but old fags and cabbage stumps of quotations from the Bible and the rest stewed in the juice of deliberate, journalistic dirty-mindedness."

Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac

"That's not writing, that's typing."

More of these adoring accolades are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?