Monday, July 09, 2012

The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Way I Feel

Annoyed. It irritates me that I keep seeing dates written as (for example) "635 A.D." Don't people know what "A.D." stands for? It's an abbeviation for anno domini, Latin for "in the year of our Lord". So of course it should be "A.D. 635". Just because a bunch of ignoramuses persist in treating it like "B.C." doesn't mean that it should be allowed into "common usage". I'm talking to you, Wikipedia. As for me, I prefer the secular designations CE (common era) and BCE (before the common era). Let's leave Jeebus Holy Crisco out of it.

Stretched. Writing a book is both satisfying and time consuming -- even if the "writing" is mostly a matter of assembling a lot of previously composed material. I want to work on it all the time, but life keeps getting in the way. So I work on it little by little. Accretion. Exactly the way it was all written. It's the same with the book I'm reading now: Macbeth, the recent highly praised novelization, not Shakespeare's spooky tragedy (also highly praised and previously read). I'd just as soon read it straight through, but I am forced to ingest it in fits and starts -- 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there, often in some sort of conveyance. It will all happen, though. Fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?