Thursday, July 12, 2012

Photo of the Week

street book

My cousin Natalie decided that the textbook for the art-appreciation course she was taking was so disturbing that she tossed it out the window, where it landed in the street with a bookish thwack. She then photographed it and sent this picture to her "creepy" professor, who seems to have a special affinity for showing the class slides of artistic nudes.

It wasn't any salacious content that sent Natalie, or rather her book, over the edge, however. It was the page shown in the photo, which depicts an obscure work by Edvard Munch, who is most famous for his pricey painting (or actually, series of paintings) called The Scream. The vacant stares of the haunted, zombie-like figures, who seem to be marching toward their doom, were just too much for Natalie, especially at a time of the month when she's feeling "extra crabby".

Actually, I just made all that up (although the page does illustrate a work by Munch). I almost literally stumbled across this book on my way to work and thought its plight affecting enough to pull out my eye-phone and snap the photo. I thought I might see it again on my way home, but it was gone. Some art maven must have made off with it, or maybe it's adding a bit of refinement to the local landfill. Anyway, it is preserved here for your inspection. Click on it for a close-up view -- if you dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?