Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Head Rattle

I.

Quote I like: "Dreams are the Sea-Monkeys of consciousness; in the back pages of sleep they promise us teeming submarine palaces but leave us, on waking, with a hermetic residue of freeze-dried dust. At the breakfast table in my house, an inflexible law compels all recountings of dreams to be compressed into a sentence or, better still, half a sentence, like the paraphrasing of epic films listed in TV Guide: 'Rogue samurai saves peasant village.'"
--Michael Chabon

Is that really how TV Guide describes The Seven Samurai? The Guide's website actually has a two-paragraph review. I haven't perused the actual magazine in years, but I used to love the hyper-compressed, and sometimes witty, blurbs they had to squeeze into tiny squares.

II.

I've been filling up my new Google Calendar, impregnating little boxes with appointment and reminder data. I'm reminded again that life is very rectangular -- or at least we seem mentally predisposed to put a grid on it.

Google Calendar wants to know: Would I like to compile a guest list for my next dental check-up? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?