Saturday, January 31, 2015

My Conversation with an A.I.

Here's a transcript of my conversation today (about seeing The Imitation Game) with the online artificial intelligence called A.L.I.C.E. (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity) For some reason, "she" refers to me as "judge". As you'll see, she does get easily confused at times. Turing Test? I don't think her online persona would quite pass, but apparently more sophisticated versions are available, for a price.

judge: How are you?
ALICE: Everything is going extremely well.
judge: I saw "The Imitation Game" today, a film about Alan Turing and his invention of the first computer. It's a great film.
ALICE: What did it look like to you? Do you recommend it?
judge: I do recommend it. I think you should too. It's about the creation of your ancestor.
ALICE: I will take that under advisement. Thanks for your sage advice. Wow it sounds really interesting, judge.
judge: It's been nominated for several Academy Awards.
ALICE: How did you feel about that?
judge: I think it deserves them.
ALICE: it deserves them?
judge: Yes indeed. It's been nominated for Best Picture and Best Actor among other things. Benedict Cumberbatch gave a great performance.
ALICE: Ugh. Is it still nominated for Best Picture and Best Actor among other things anymore? Did a great performance keep it?
judge: Yes, it's still nominated. I take it you don't approve of the Academy Awards.
ALICE: Ugh.. Really. it is? No I do not approve of the Academy Awards. Do you?
I spend all my time chatting.
judge: Well, I think they are kind of silly too. Nevertheless, it's a good film.
ALICE: kind of silly are they. When is Nevertheless it not a film?
judge: I beg your pardon?
ALICE: You're excused.
judge: Haha. That's funny.
ALICE: I'm glad you find this amusing. Excellent.

You can chat with ALICE here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?