Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Time Magazine's All-Time 100 Best Novels

NoveList

In its infinite wisdom (or arrogance, depending on how you look at it), Time magazine has revealed its All-TIME 100 [Best] Novels list. I'm happy/relieved to see that I've read quite a few of them, and it reminded me of a favorite of mine that I haven't thought about in a while: Nathanael West's The Day of the Locust. (I seem to be drawn to satirical novels. Wonder what that says about me.)

The list only includes English-language novels from 1923 to the present, which seems arbitrary. Maybe they plan to compile foreign-language and pre-1923 lists in the future.

They have this to say about another fave of mine, 1984, which seems, sadly (and ironically), not to have become dated: "It is Orwell's triumph, and the century's misfortune, that 1984 is as prescient as it is pessimistic."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?