Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend Netflix Report: 'Cassandra's Dream'

Cassandra's Dream. Brothers Ian and Terry (Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell) are two Brit idiots caught up in a fairly predictable murder plot/morality play, courtesy of Woody Allen, writing and directing in a genre he shouldn't attempt. The actors struggle (admirably at times) with a contrived and synthetic script that has them talking more like abstractions in Allen's head than real people. And who would ever believe that Colin Farrell and Ewan McGregor are brothers?

Some of the actors in minor roles are quite good, and I liked Philip Glass's score, but it's wasted on this.

WA, go back to something you're sometimes good at: erudite comedy set in an idealized Manhattan.

(Why did I watch two Colin Farrell hitman movies in a row? Because I'm working through a list that a cineaste friend gave me. I thought he was giving me recommendations, not a rundown of everything he's watched over the past year. Oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?