Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Word of the Day: kipple

kipple (n)

Utterly useless trash, junk, or rubbish.

"No one can win against kipple, except temporarily and maybe in one spot."
--Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Someone I live with is, alas, a kipple collector. We have a very full basement full of "art materials", broken lawnmowers, lamps that don't light, unpacked boxes from our move four years ago, etc. -- none of which I'm allowed to dispose of without bringing down the wrath of God on my person. And now the kipple is metastasizing from the basement into other areas of the house.

Andy Warhol famously said that junk should be packed in a box with a date on it, and if you haven't opened the box within a year, you should just throw it away -- without looking inside. More and more, I think he was right.

(It's a good thing my wyfe doesn't read this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?