Thursday, August 19, 2010

David Lynch: 'Booked'

Filmmaker David Lynch seems like more of a bookmaker these days. First, there was his book of delightfully creepy photographs to accompany the sublime Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse album -- which he also contributed to -- Dark Night of the Soul. (I can't get the Beatles-meet-Sylvia Plath "Daddy's Gone" out of my head. "I woke up and all my yesterdays were gone.")

Then, there was Lynch's recent book of lithographs, called simply Lithos. You can see some of them at that link, which will take you to a Major Online Retailer's site. (There's a river in Brazil.)

Now there's Dark Splendor, a book of drawings, lithos, and photographs. You can see some images from it if you click on the link, which will take you to the self-same Major Online Retailer. The list price is 85 bucks, though one can purchase it for considerably less -- though not temptingly less, at least for me...yet.

And now, amusingly or astonishingly (I can't decide which; maybe both), I've discovered a free online comic-book biography of Lynch, which starts out with DL on trial by the "Court of Justice Supreme" for "depravity and perversion", and for "decay", "sickness" and being "diseased" and (horrors!) "quirky". The comic has Lynch admitting that "Sometimes I see a pretty girl and wonder what it would be like to get inside her closet and watch her in secret." It traces his film and TV career from The Alphabet through Fire Walk With Me. I'm not sure if the whole comic is online -- the site is a bit confusing. But it's well done in comic-book terms and worth a look, especially if you're a bit "depraved" yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?