Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Word of the Day: oggannition (ogganition)

oggannition (n)

(Also spelled ogganition.)

Snarling or growling.

"She snored so loudly that her roommates mistook the cacophony for oggannition."
--Leahcim Setag, Strange Loops

Almost every time I walk past a neighbor's house, a tiny, ugly dog -- some kind of pug -- on a sill behind the front window goes into a paroxysm of ogganition, snarling and yapping at me while running back and forth and jumping up against the glass. I believe this little monster would tear me apart if it could only get at me. The poor creature is bored, I suspect, and wishes I would try to break in, so it could chomp on my leg. I just smile at Pugsley (my imagined name for him/her), which only accelerates the frenzy. Long after I've passed on by, I can still hear the conniption, with what I detect is an edge of disappointment in each yip and yap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?