Monday, January 30, 2012

Head Rattle

I.

I saw the film Carrie for the first time (!) at the Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre on Saturday. Like many horror movies, it seemed to me to be as much a satire as a scarefest. Piper Laurie (of Twin Peaks fame), who played the fanatically religious mother in the film, was there for the showing (she's also promoting a book), and mentioned that the first time she read the script, she thought it was a comedy. I can see that, actually -- it could have been directed that way. Luckily it wasn't.

II.

I rarely have long phone conversations, but I participated in an hour-long yack session on my iPhone today. I like the iPhone, but I don't think it was ever intended for such marathon telephony. Keeping it pressed to my ear for that long was somewhat painful. Maybe I should get one of those retro handsets that you can plug into it. Hmm.

III.

What is it about bubble paper that so fascinates? Some people around me today were popping it -- today is national Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day -- and it was like having miniature firecrackers going off for hours on end. Somewhat annoying while I was trying to concentrate, although I admit I've enjoyed the tiny frisson of popping it myself at times. But there's an app for that....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?