Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Random Sequence

"...Sometimes, when he was feeling especially talkative and confessional, Claggett would have me sit in a booth with him. He'd turn sideways in the booth, leaning his head against the bar's greasy paneling and letting his sneaker-clad feet hang over the outer edge of the vinyl seat, sometimes almost tripping the bar maid. The Green Man was dimly lit, and his face would fade into the shadows as he confided all sorts of craziness. He told me about his 'buddies' getting their arms and legs blown off in the war, about sinister clients who'd ripped him off when he was in advertising, and about Ruby and Peaches -- two gals out on Route 30 that he wanted to take me to see sometime. A lot of it sounded apocryphal, or maybe not -- it was hard to tell -- but I didn't mind listening for the entertainment value..."
--from "The Iron Box" (by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?