Monday, April 29, 2013

Head Rattle

I.
I saw The Place Beyond the Pines, and thought it an excellent film. I couldn't figure out the title though, since I didn't see any pines in the movie -- just lots of deciduous trees. Then I later stumbled across the meaning: the film takes place in (and was shot in) Schenectady, New York, and "Schenectady" is a Indian word meaning "place beyond the pines". My brother and nephews live in nearby Scotia, New York, which is also where some of it was filmed. I'll have to ask them how things are in the place beyond the pines and see if they know what I'm talking about.

II.
I actually used the word "onerous" in a conversation today, without thinking about it. I was speaking with someone about my familiarity with and ability to use British spelling, so she wouldn't have to worry about it if it was too onerous. "Well, maybe we'll send you some Scottish and see how you do with that," she said, jokingly. At least I hope it was a joke. Ho ye! Whit's fur ye'll no go past ye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?