Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Word of the Day: nihilarian

nihilarian (n)

One who deals with useless or unimportant things, or is engaged in trivial activities.

"At loose ends after his assignment ended, Caleb became a nihilarian, spending each day starting and then abandoning crossword puzzles, walking aimlessly around the neighborhood, and polishing the silverware."
--Mel Ghaciates, Figments & Fragments

"Nihilarian" would be a splendid name for a blog, or maybe "nilhilarity". Blogging may seem useless, but I used to scribble ad nauseum in an actual diary, which nobody read except me. Truly nihilarious, because I couldn't stand to read it -- and still can't. I tend to be an extreme solipsist when writing only for myself. Or talking to myself. A transcript of that would be a word salad with pine-nut dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?