Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Way I Feel

Excited: Not. The new phone book arrived today. I couldn't find myself inside; instead, I found a post card inserted between Zyadco Wireless Corp. and a "superguarantee" that says, "Residential white pages are not included in this directory. The residential white pages are now online at www.verizon.com/whitepages." Well, that's the end of an era. I always liked looking myself up in the phone book whenever I felt the need for some tangible evidence that I actually exist. But I might have disappeared from it soon anyway, since I'm thinking of getting rid of the land line.

Puzzled: I observed a teenager sucking his thumb in a public place today. Experienced some cognitive dissonance and vicarious embarrassment.

Thoughtful: I'm reading (no quotation marks around the word) The Story of My Disappearance, by Paul Watkins, a psychological adventure-mystery about a fellow living under a false identity. The notion of doing that seems appealing on the surface -- who hasn't fantasized about "disappearing" -- but it seems there's a price to be paid, if I catch Watkins' drift. Eighty-eight pages in; 213 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?