Monday, October 18, 2010

Word of the Day: farrago

assemblage

farrago (n)

A medley or a conglomeration.

"Biggs was a fubsy pudding of a character with a hairpiece that could only have been ordered by dialing 1-800-Toupees. A farrago of tics animated his face in unpredictable dots and dashes like Morse code."
--Woody Allen, "This Nib for Hire"

My own personal farrago consists of the accumulated crap that covers the top of the chest of drawers in my closet.... If I just swept it all into the trash I would never miss it, but I never get around to it. It probably has something to do with the fact that each little treasure seemed worth saving at one time. And maybe they are worth saving. Maybe I'll put them into a coffee can and bury it in the backyard as a time capsule, so that future generations can study the sacred totems of our time: pennies, old keys, receipts, mints, Post-its with inscrutable messages, ties I never wear, and business cards for people I've forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?