Friday, January 28, 2011

Word of the Day: shemozzle

shemozzle (n)

A state of confusion and chaos; an uproar.

"No end of a shemozzle there's been there lately," he said. "Marina Gregg's been having hysterics most days. Said some coffee she was given was poisoned."
--Agatha Christie, The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side

Quite a shemozzle in Egypt these days. Overdue I think. Tell old pharaoh to let my people go.

A few years ago, when I lived in a slightly more urban area, one of my Saturday-night entertainments was simply to look out of my living-room window at a different sort of shemozzle. A crowd of drunken young men would often spill out of a divey bar across the street that called itself The Oasis (but I called The Fight Club). Inevitably, noisy spats would break out, including knife-wielding contretemps. The fracas would eventually draw a wailing squad car to the scene, at which point all the dipsomaniacs and belligerents would scatter, roach-like, in all directions. It was better than reality TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?