Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Word of the Day: foofaraw

foofaraw (n)

A great deal of attention paid to a trivial matter; much ado about nothing.

"Walking in on this foofaraw confirmed his conviction that, Christ, he'd earned doing one thing for himself, hadn't he? Just one? 'I don't want your stupid scrambled eggs!' Flicka was wheezing when her father entered the room. 'I don't want to spend all Saturday afternoon with my speech therapist, and occupational therapist and physical therapist. I'm going to die anyway, so just let me watch TV! What does it matter?'"
--Lionel Shriver, So Much for That

Foofaraw. Another great name for this blog?

The cord to my headphones is driving me mad. It kinks, it curls, it tangles, and twirls. I tried suspending the headphones upside down from a hook, thinking that gravity would straighten out my situation. But no, or at least not for long. I like to listen to... things... on the train while commuting, but I'm somewhat embarrassed to pull the headphones out of my man purse and start unknotting the cord while some slack-jawed passenger stares at me from across the aisle. The untangling doesn't go well. I fasten the headphones on, and instead of a nice, smooth, draping line I have an unholy snarl beneath my chin. It's sad, because the headphones work fine, and I don't want to replace them just because of the mess with the cord. But I hate looking rumpled in that way. I'm the Rumpelstiltskin of audio accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?