Saturday, February 19, 2011

Random Sequence

[random phrases, worked into a story]

The Kaleidoscopic Dentifrice: A Tragedy

There was a lull in the studio. Ned and Barry, two scruffy, 30-ish technicians, sat chatting.
"I have no romantic capability," Ned lamented.
"Ahh, don't go into another negative zoom," Barry said.
"Meaning?"
"Just because you broke up with her doesn't mean you have to do your customary wander into pissed ruination."
"I suppose," Ned sighed.
"I suggest a reedier curlicue -- mentally," said Barry.
"I told you I'm done with the clarinet," Ned whined.
"You don't have to get out your horn, not literally. I put together a tentative synthesizer that can make that sound -- or just about any sound. Music always picks you up. I'll show you how it works."
"I don't know," said Ned.
"Here, give a listen," Barry said, offering a pair of headphones. Ned put them on. "This is something I composed last night."
"Hmmm," said Ned after a few seconds. "What do you call this? It's...bizarre, but, well, uplifting, I guess."
"I call it 'Kaleidoscopic Dentifrice'", said Barry.
Ned rolled his eyes.
"You could try composing something too. It's pretty easy with this thing."
"The way I feel now, I'd have to call it 'Squashed Suite'", said Ned.
"Flip speculation," said Barry. He turned up the volume. "I bet once you started, you'd feel a lot...."
But it was too late. Ned's head had exploded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?