Friday, February 18, 2011

Word of the Day: accismus

accismus (n)

Pretending not to be interested in something while secretly being interested in it.

"I groan. 'I know it's a long shot, but don't you think it's worth a try?'
'Not if it gets you suspended for another five hundred years.' Dusana lapses into silence for several minutes before heaving a deep sigh. 'I may know someone who can help you.'
'I don't need help,' I say with perfect accismus, 'but who are you talking about?'"
--Dan Wick, The Devil's Tale

This is what is called "being coy". Julius Caesar refuses the crown, even though he desires it, knowing that the people will insist all the harder that he accept it. The fox pretends he really doesn't like grapes....

If you're interested in something -- or someone -- but try to hide it, for whatever reason, you're engaging in accismus. Just pretend you've never heard of this word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?