Monday, November 08, 2010

Word of the Day: wazzock

wazzock (n)

A nitwit; a stupid or annoying person.

"Course I haven't been drinking, you great wazzock. You can see the fish, can't you?"
--Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

I haven't met a true wazzock (that I had to spend any significant time with) in ten years at least. Instead, I tend to have fleeting wizzock moments. Saturday night, for instance. I was at an event where hot coffee was being served in paper cups. I asked for "two cups", so I could put one cup inside the other, creating a zarf, and avoid burning my digits. So, the guy behind the counter pours me two cups of hot coffee before I could explain what I meant. Was he the wazzock or, uh, wazz I? It was the moment itself, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?