Monday, November 22, 2010

Word of the Day: farraginous

farraginous (adj)

Composed of a variety of substances; a hodgepodge.

"Thou art, I vow, the remarkablest progenitor barring
none in this chaffering allincluding most farraginous
chronicle." - J. Joyce, Ulysses

The short story I enunciated yesterday at the "JC Opens Up the Mic"* grande finale "juggernaut of creativity" -- the one I can't post here, for complicated, somewhat ridiculous reasons -- was a farraginous amalgam of some paraphrased Charles Dickens, Twilight Zone dialog, and personal adventure (but not my personal adventure). It worked, I think: I got some chortles and tittering in the right places, though it wasn't overall a comic piece, and some compliments post facto. I was a nervous wreck, though, as I always am when emoting in public. The tension wasn't apparent in my voice, I don't believe, but my leg was vibrating the whole time. I really do prefer print -- or at least a shot of something beforehand.

~~~

*JC is "Jersey City", not Johnny Christus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?