Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Word of the Day: simoleon

simoleon (n)

One dollar.

"T'ought I was lyin' about the money, did ye? Well, you can frisk me if you wanter. Dat's the last simoleon in the treasury. Who's goin' to pay? The cattleman's clear grey eyes looked steadily from under his grizzly brows into the huckleberry optics of this guest. After a little he said simply, and not ungraciously, 'I'll be much obliged to you, son, if you won't mention money any more.'"
--O. Henry, "Heart of the West"

I have one of those golden one-dollar coins, and I don't know what to do with it. Somehow, I don't think most cashiers or bus drivers would appreciate me paying with it. And it's too pulchritudinous to spend casually. George appears a bit more contemporary on it than he does on the quarter, with an expression of what looks like mild disgust, as if about to pontificate on the contemporary political milieu -- though it may just be ill-fitting teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?