Sunday, April 01, 2012

Word of the Day: flumadiddle

flumadiddle (n)

Utter nonsense or worthless frills.

"Verity squinted at them again. 'Don't think I don't know what you've been doing. Cavorting all over town, questioning folks and stirring up trouble. And all you've learned from your flumadiddles is that the dead man wasn't from around here.'"
--Jeffrey Marks, The Ambush of My Name

Having attended a showing of the film The Big Lebowski at the Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre this weekend, I feel almost overdosed on comic nonsense.

(I also saw Fargo [first time!] and Pulp Fiction there last night. So... two Coen Bros. and one Tarantino. That's enough heads getting comically blown off, bodies in wood chippers, and cremains in the face for a while, I think.)

As I've said before, I approve of talking or writing nonsense, a most pleasurable activity -- when done to entertain (one's self or others), not to annoy. Of course, I never would do the latter here....

And of course, I also approve of my readers slipping these "word of the day" lexemes into their everyday conversations, as a social-science experiment, to see what kinds of reactions they receive. For example, you might say "That was a very interesting flumadiddle you raised at the meeting today." Or: "I like that flumadiddle you're wearing! Where did you get it?" Please report back to me any blank look, inquiry as to your meaning, or sincere "thank you" you record.

~~~

Meanwhile....

Yoko Ono (who follows me on Twitter) answered a question I asked her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?