Monday, August 29, 2011

Word of the Day: misodoctakleidist

misodoctakleidist (n)

Someone who hates practicing the piano.

"Unable to progress past 'Chop Sticks', Tatiana finally had to admit to being a misodoctakleidist. 'That's it,' she thought, 'I'm selling this baby grand and buying a player piano.'"
--Leahcim Setag, Strange Loops

I took piano lessons from a neighbor for a short time as a kid, but hated practicing and gave it up, which I sometimes regret. I was too immature at the time to commit to it, but part of it was also that my family's piano was in the gloomy, dusty basement of our house, which wasn't conducive to long sessions of tickling the ivories. Another problem was that it was an upright player piano, and I was always tempted to stop practicing scales, insert a piano roll, and start pedaling. It played a jaunty version of "Melancholy Baby", I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?