Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Head Rattle

I.

The New York Times, in the comments section of one of their articles, is asking for "sentences that paint a realistic picture of a sky using precise and surprising nouns and adjectives." I sent in these, culled from some poems I've written:

Last night, the sky was a bowl of black fish.
Dawn was rich: a pageant of burning clouds, like the rubies of a sultan, dribbled from a golden jar.
At noon, high, improbable clouds etched the sky like cracks in a crystal dish.


II.

It's annoying when authors create stupid characters who say "What?" simply to allow the protagonist to explain some obscure word or concept. These Dr. Watson characters are stand-ins for the reader, of course. I suppose they're a necessary evil in mystery stories.

III.

Anagrams for "Mitt Romney" (punctuation added):

Nite Mr. Tomy
Memory Tint
Metro Minty
Mr. Tony Item
My Inert Tom
My One-Tit Mr.
Mr. Tiny Mote

Make of them what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?