Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Word of the Day: philocomal

philocomal (adj)

Characterized by excessive concern with one's hair.

"There were ladies present too; and after some pleasant little discourse, all tending to the glorification of hair-dressing, an eminent professor of the philocomal art there present proceeded to a series of practical and illustrative experiments on the heads of some of the young ladies...."
--George Augustus Sala, Twice 'Round the Clock

I got my hair cut yesterday -- and cut and cut. My (ahem) stylist decided that, since "it's summer now", I needed a short cut. I agreed, thinking he meant "a little shorter than usual". Instead, I got shorn like a sheep. I almost look like I'm ready for boot camp. But it's growing on me -- literally and figuratively. And it's going to look pretty terrific in a couple of weeks. Or so. Meanwhile, at least I won't have to worry about attending to my locks during my upcoming sojourn in the Mother Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?