Thursday, July 07, 2011

Head Rattle

I.

So that British birdcage liner is closing. (Oh sorry 200 journalists who had nothing to do with the scandal!) I'm thinking I might, therefore, rename this blog The News of the World. Who's going to stop me? Rupert Murdoch? I don't think so. All of this persiflage is about a world, after all: my world -- or a least the more absurd, solipsistic aspects of it.

II.

I bought a classic 1963 Corvette today. It's about five inches long, made of die-cast metal, and was on sale at Duane Reade. It has a little flexible radio aerial on the back.

III.

The Harriet Carter catalog has arrived in my mailbox! Interesting items on offer: a water dish for dogs in the shape of a toilet, a personalized (submit your initials) leather Bible case, and a praying teddy bear that recites the Lord's Prayer. Animals and religion are a frequent theme of these must-haves. Another one is various pneumatic and magnetic devices for relieving aches and pains (quack, quack).

IV.

I need something to "read" (listen to?) again. It will probably be The Pale King by David Forster Wallace. Long, lumpy, weird, wonderful, boring, brilliant.... I've heard a lot about it. Sounds like it might be worth a try while I wait for the new Murakami.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?